[Cryptography] would email encryption have saved Hillary Clinton's campaign?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sat Nov 12 21:31:20 EST 2016

On 11/12/2016 09:10 PM, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> Basically, good security with pwned endpoints is just about impossible. :(
> There are no silver bullets.  And we've always been at war with Eastasia.

Endpoints are the final weak link.

But! Even if the computer of the person on the other end is really
secure, that person is part of the system, part of whether the larger
system is secure.

Secure from what? Against whom? Working for whom?

There is always a further endpoint, there is always more system off the
end of this system (which was not well defined to begin with).

Also, I thought Eastasia was our friend!?

-kb, the Kent who is not a cynic, the Kent who insists that there are
many miles improvements before we get close to Manning and Snowden and
Philby being our bottom-line worries.

P.S. I have a nice job starting at the end of the month, so it is too
late for you folk. So there. You had your chance.

P.P.S. I am also worried for Snowden. It was pointed out that Putin has
no need for him now. Part of Snowden's motivation was worry of what
would happen of a less benign president than Obama took power. Has that
happened? If Obama can't pardon him, maybe he can lift the pressure and
let him (oops!) escape to a better refuge.