[Cryptography] "we need to protect [our dox] by at least encrypting them"

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Nov 10 23:42:05 EST 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:

> [Reordered as there are two topics.]
>>

>> As for voting systems, where I live we have paper ballots that are
>> optically scanned.

> We use a similar system to the one Arnold uses here in Santa Clara County,
> California. Assuming a small percentage of the precincts are randomly
> selected for audit after the votes have been counted, it should be quite
> secure.
>
> There is an organization working to make sure our voting systems can be
> audited, <https://www.verifiedvoting.org/>. People interested in this
> area should know about them.

On the risk side most audit systems and electronic voting systems risk loss
of privacy.
Loss of privacy is troubling in in this big data world.  Ponder the
retribution some
might have on both sides of this most recent election...  Family, work,
neighbors,
and more...
Cost is a big driver for some of these systems.. immediacy is another.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l