[Cryptography] protecting information ... was: we need to protect our dox

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Thu Nov 10 14:14:53 EST 2016

On 11/10/2016 01:37 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> If you give the command "SECURE THE BUILDING", here is what the different
>   services would do:
>
> The NAVY would turn out the lights and lock the doors.
>
> The ARMY would surround the building with defensive fortifications, tanks and
>   concertina wire.
>
> The MARINE CORPS would assault the building, using overlapping fields of fire
>   from all appropriate points on the perimeter.
>
> The AIR FORCE would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy.

Excellent.  Thanks!

Continuing in that vein:

The US SECRET SERVICE would send everybody in the building a memo,
telling them to change their passwords.  They would hand-deliver the
memo, because they are not allowed to send or receive email.  They
would then depart, driving at 75 MPH enroute to a secure undisclosed
location (i.e. a brothel).

The county DEPARTMENT OF ELECTIONS wouldn't lock the doors, but they
would put tamper-evident seals across all the door/jamb joints.\1\

Reference:
\1\ "We studied 198 different seals and demonstrated how all
 can be defeated quickly using low-tech methods available to
 almost anyone."
    Roger G. Johnston, Anthony R.E. Garcia, and Adam N. Pacheco
    "Efficacy of Tamper-Indicating Devices"
    http://permalink.lanl.gov/object/tr?what=info:lanl-repo/lareport/LA-UR-02-0492