[Cryptography] Blue Coat has been issued a MITM encryption certificate

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue May 31 13:25:08 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Erwann ABALEA <erwann at abalea.com> wrote:

> Bonjour,

>> On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Stephen Farrell <
>> stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

>>> Certificate
>>>
>>> Yeah, two things strike me:
>>>
>>> 1 - yay for certificate transparency - CAs behaving oddly being spotted
>>>     and outed is good
>>>
>>> 2 - what kind of "testing" would require symantec to issue a CA
>>>     cert with path-len 0 and for symanetec to hold the private key? I
>>>     can't figure anything that makes sense unless symantec were thinking
>>>     of actively helping blue coat spoof web sites better, maybe at
>>>     run-time, or on a case-by-case basis  - or am I missing something?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> S.
>>

>> For the benefit of us who can't remember, what is the effect of path-len
>> 0?
>>

> A CA certificate containing a BasicConstraints with pathLenConstraint=0
> means that this CA certificate can only be used to verify an end-entity
> certificate, or a CA certificate that doesn't issue any certificate, but
> not a CA certificate that itself would issue another certificate (either CA
> or end-entity).
>
> To simplify:
>  CA(BC:pathLenConstraint=0) -> end-entity : OK
>  CA(BC:pathLenConstraint=0) -> CA(anything) : OK
>  CA(BC:pathLenConstraint=0) -> CA(anything) -> any certificate : NOT OK

One of the things I learned from experimental physics was that you should
always ask the question even if you think you know the answer.

I deliberately asked what the *effect* was, not what the specification
says. The questions are not the same.

What I had forgotten is:

    CA(BC:pathLenConstraint=0) -> CA(anything) : OK

Which is kinda screwed up. I am still not seeing how to turn this into an
exploit if Symantec hold the private key.

> As in, what is the effect on systems out there in the wild as opposed to
>> what does the spec say. Is there a difference and if so for what systems?
>>
>> Does 0 = infinity? Probably not in the spec but what about elsewhere?
>>

> 0 is not infinity. Infinity is expressed as the absence of the
> pathLenConstraint field.

OK so that possibility out.

> Some not so old versions of GnuTLS didn't correctly verify the
> pathLenConstraint, at least. I think it was corrected in 2014.
> OpenSSL, NSS, MSCAPI, and Opera are OK. Don't know about PolarSSL/mbedTLS
> or other smaller TLS stacks.

Does any browser use GnuTLS though? I don't think we need to panic if the
code is being used for STARTTLS in SMTP or the like as those aren't
typically tied to a root of trust in any case.