[Cryptography] Entropy Needed for SSH Keys?

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Fri May 27 20:53:09 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-27, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> IIRC, one nanosecond was once defined to me as the approximate amount
> of time it takes for light to travel fifteen centimeters.

In vacuum (and mostly in dry air), you can calculate it to be exactly
299792458 m/s * 1e-9 s ~= 30 cm. So about a foot is the basic rule. No
need to remember any of that, you can get it straight from Wikipedia.

In silico it's more complicated, because of the varying dielectric
constant of different kinds of doping levels, surface structure, stray
capacitance, and whatnot. But based on what I've seen of the possible
permittivities, I'd wager the nanosecond can range anywhere from 28cm
downto as little as 2cm, depending on the substrate.

> Does this matter much, in terms of creating useful interference
> patterns?

In interference, it matters downto the twelth digit.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy at iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2