[Cryptography] A promising method to thwart global surveillence

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:29:25 EDT 2016

The Russian Illegals spy ring in New York used steganography.

The Caliphate cell in Brussels used truecrypt files uploaded to
cyberlockers in Turkey. But the grugq notes that truecrypt files would
probably have a fixed size (and even with a random length, it would
still round to kilobyte sizes), so it wouldn't be so simple.

Obviously if state-level actors use these methods against the NSA,
steganography does have a good role to play. Problem is that machine
learning has advanced substantially. In a worst case scenario, it will
be obvious that you have steganographic files, that is if photodna
hashes are similar for many files, but fuzzy hashes aren't as similar.

The best that could be done would be to make automated scans more
probabilistic and less reliable (I have tens of thousands of files on
my computer), by embedding encrypted data steganographically in images
in the PDF file. The text and images of the PDF file could be
procedurally generated.

But I'm not an expert. I'm just pointing out what makes sense to me.