[Cryptography] Text of Burr-Feinstein encryption backdoor bill

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon May 23 21:25:54 EDT 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:31 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/8/16, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
> >
> https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2797124/Burr-Feinstein-Encryption-Bill-Discussion-Draft.pdf
> >
> > "Compliance with Court Orders Act of 2016"
>
> Current version...
>
> https://www.burr.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/BAG16460.pdf

Catch 22..

"(4) all providers of communications services and products (including
software) should protect the
privacy of United States persons through implementation of appropriate data
security and still respect
the rule of law and comply with all legal requirements 14 and court orders;
"

The technology to protect data and privacy from modern electronic threats
domestic and foreign does not currently
have any back door magic.

The including of obfuscated is troubliing to all that cannot spall.
I suspect code like this is also at risk.
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/disney-world-staffers-share-dark-225731043.html

The authors of the bill need to be reminded that "Tora Tora Tora" was sent
in
the clear. Tiger Tiger Tiger...  but wait yahoo answers tells me"
"tora is Japanese for "tiger", but in this case, "To" is the initial
syllable of the Japanese word totsugeki,
meaning "charge" or "attack", and "ra" is initial syllable of raigeki,
meaning "torpedo attack"

This also implies that all data on compute services like *Amazon* EC2 is
now a liability
for Amazon.   All web services including Etsy where multiple vendors have
hosed credit
card and transaction services are covered.  And then there are tattoos.  A
whole show is
crafted on secrets hidden in tattoos.  Shave the skull and read the secret
message.
i.e.  we must all be bald and nakid...

It is a difficult problem but this smells like a novice attempt at
legislating
something that they see done on TV.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l