[Cryptography] Entropy Needed for SSH Keys?

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Mon May 23 06:02:20 EDT 2016

Den 23 maj 2016 7:25 fm skrev "David Johnston" <dj at deadhat.com>:

> While I'm gainfully employed as an RNG designer and general crypto
security person, I hold the opinion that ignorance beats entropy.

> In one sense, ignorance of the state of a system can be equated to that
system having entropy relative to the thing that is ignorant of the state
of the system.

Information IS surprise:
https://plus.maths.org/content/information-surprise

Meaning that ignorance actually is the source of entropy. We can't learn
anything new of we know the seed and position of a deterministic system.
Entropy (bits) is how much we can learn about a system from a given amount
of information about that system.

In cryptography we tend to settle with a small pool of secret entropy and
deriving computational entropy from it (i.e. an adversary with unbounded
computational power can break it and find the seed, but not a limited one).