[Cryptography] Entropy Needed for SSH Keys?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sat May 21 12:55:31 EDT 2016

Embedded devices are frequently starved for entropy, and frequently want
to generate SSH keys on first boot when the entropy might be in
particularly short supply.

How much entropy does modern openssh key generation need?

In a case I am playing with I want my own 512-bits of entropy after the
ssh keys are generated. If I can come up with a nice plump 4096-bits at
boot (common pool size these days for Linux urandom), and then generate
the ssh keys, how many bits will be left over?

This might be an elementary question, but embedded people are always
getting this stuff terribly wrong, so my excuse is that a little
repetition is good.

Thanks,

-kb