[Cryptography] On a paper on a new probabilistic public-key encryption based on RSA

mok-kong shen mok-kong.shen at t-online.de
Sun May 15 15:49:58 EDT 2016

V. A. Roman'kov, New probabilistic public-key encryption based on the
RSA cryptosystem. http://u.math.biu.ac.il/~tsaban/Pdf/NewProbab.pdf

The paper is in De Gruyter's "Groups Complexity Cryptology", an
apparently sufficiently serious scientific journal. What I currently
managed with my humble poor knowledge to capture (or conjecture) from
it is the following: It could provide certain security enhancements
over RSA but has corresponding trade-offs: (1) while for RSA with
modulus n the message space is [0, 2**n-1], the message space of the
scheme with the same n is smaller (being the size of the subgroup M in
the paper, i.e. for the same message space size one needs to use a
larger modulus), (2) The processing is more complex. (Both are not
surprising in view of the Principle of No Free Lunch.)

I hope that some experts would provide competent evaluations of that
paper.

M. K. Shen