[Cryptography] 2nd Amendment Case for the Right to Bear Crypto

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu May 12 15:59:13 EDT 2016

> So far as I know, there is *no* law prohibiting anyone in the U.S. from purchasing a bulletproof car with bulletproof windows....
I can't speak for bulletproof *cars* - didn't bother to do the simple Google search - but bulletproof *vests* are, in fact, regulated. From http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/criminal-offense/when-its-illegal-to-own-a-bullet-proof-vest :

"Under federal law, a bulletproof vest is considered “body armor,” which is regulated by statute, 18 U.S.C.A. Section 931. That law forbids anyone convicted of a violent felony to own or possess a vest, unless the person wearing the vest is an employee who is doing so in order to perform a lawful business activity and who has obtained prior written certification from the employer. A violation incurs a maximum of three years in prison. And using a vest during the commission of a federal crime of violence or a federal drug-trafficking crime will result in an enhanced sentence. (42 U.S.C. Section 3796ll-3(d)(1).)

The federal law has been challenged on several grounds, all of them unsuccessfully."

(The last of the challenges discussed was on Second Amendment grounds.)

The states also have regulations:

"A few states prohibit the use or possession in specified situations or circumstances, without regard to the criminal background of the wearer. One state prohibits wearing armor on school property or school-sponsored functions (Louisiana), while in Connecticut, sale of body armor must be done in person—Internet and phone purchases are illegal."

We now return you to our regular fact-based discussions....

                                                        -- Jerry