[Cryptography] russian spies using steganography?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sun May 8 21:18:45 EDT 2016

A steganographic channel I have long thought is under appreciated is
spam. I guess the flaw here is the real senders of spam seem to be
pretty few (I see it come in in batches, some one person pushed a
button, I see the results, not a lot of little mom-and-pop retail spam
senders). Also, unfortunately to the spies, gmail does such a good job
of filtering spam that who sees all that spam anymore?

Twitter also seems an interesting one-to-many channel. But I guess that
depends on Twittter not letting the TLAs into their network, and not
letting  them carefully monitor all the comings and goings.

-kb, the Kent runs his own e-mail server, so all his spam does make it
all the way to his computer--he doesn't know how the rest live in the
luxury of gmail.

P.S. I am convinced there are only a few big spammers,  "Who will rid me
of this troublesome priest?", is a quote that comes to mind...