[Cryptography] russian spies using steganography?

ianG iang at iang.org
Sun May 8 08:24:44 EDT 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies-tim-alex-foley?CMP=share_btn_tw

Bezrukov and Vavilova communicated with the SVR using digital
steganography: they would post images online that contained messages
hidden in the pixels, encoded using an algorithm written for them by the
SVR. A message the FBI believes was sent in 2007 to Bezrukov by SVR
headquarters was decoded as follows: “Got your note and signal. No info
in our files about E.F., BT, DK, RR. Agree with your proposal to use
‘Farmer’ to start building network of students in DC. Your relationship
with ‘Parrot’ looks very promising as a valid source of info from US
power circles. To start working on him professionally we need all
available details on his background, current position, habits, contacts,
opportunities, etc.”