[Cryptography] [FORGED] Re: USB 3.0 authentication: market power and DRM?

dj at deadhat.com dj at deadhat.com
Mon May 2 13:34:01 EDT 2016

> Hi,
>
>> One genuine reason, although it's not clear that the auth achieves it,
>> is to
>> prevent problems due to cables that lie about their capabilities.  The
>> typical
>> USB cable is 28 AWG, which can't carry anywhere near the power that USB
>> 3
>> power delivery is rated for [...]
>
> I agree with that problem, but it seems to me that this spec will not
> help, since it does end-to-end authentication, but you have a
> cable-in-the-middle problem. So you have to authenticate the whole chain,
> and I currently do not see any technology that could do that.

No. This is the wrong. The PD spec is adjacent point to adjacent point.
The USB data spec is end-end through hubs. This is one of the many reasons
for treating the PD part separately from the USB data part.

> Perhaps a slow start mechanism like TCP would be a better idea (to ramp up
> the power slowly), and to measure the temperature of the cable all the
> time.

Measurement and electrical defense is orthogonal to establishing if
quality and compliance have been attested to cryptographically. You can
still do measurement if you want to.

DJ