[Cryptography] 40 years of "Diffie-Hellman"

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Jun 29 14:42:47 EDT 2016

On 6/26/16 at 10:11 AM, bear at sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) wrote:
>On 06/23/2016 05:29 PM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
>>http://cryptologicfoundation.org/learn/educate/bytes/this_day_in_histor=
>y_calendar.html/event/2016/06/23/1466658000/1976-diffie-and-hellman-prese=
>nted-public-key-exchange-idea-/98292
>>=20
>>Of course, the historically savvy crypto-enthusiast recognizes the
>>algorithm we call "Diffie-Hellman" was actually invented by Malcolm
>>Williamson at GCHQ in 1974:
>>=20
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_J._Williamson
>>=20
>>He died last September. RIP.
>
>Maybe, but it's arguable whether it counts if he didn't publish.
>The world at large didn't benefit from his invention of it, but
>we all benefit from Diffie and Hellman's (re)invention of it. I
>say credit where credit's due means give the credit to the guys
>who did something that gives the world a benefit. It's not like
>they stole it from him.

The way I like to think about this kind of situation is the
Columbus was the last person to discover America. We all know
that many other people had discovered America before Columbus,
including the people who immigrated over the Bering Straight and
Leif Ericson. But after Columbus announced his discovery, no one
else could make a credible claim to having discovered America.

In the case of Malcolm Williamson, he was working for GCHQ and
everything he invented was classified.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | The first thing you need when  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | using a perimeter defense is a | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | perimeter.                     | Los Gatos,
CA 95032