[Cryptography] Proposal of a fair contract signing protocol

mok-kong shen mok-kong.shen at t-online.de
Sat Jun 25 00:23:44 EDT 2016

Am 25.06.2016 um 05:05 schrieb Adrian McCullagh:
> Dear MK Shen,
>
> I do not understand your terminology “against the law”.  If you mean
> criminally illegal then no it is not against the law ibut f you mean not
> legally enforceable under civil law then I see your protocol as being
> unnecessary and frankly overly complicated from a commercial perspective.

In case both partners are honest and trust each other, exact protocols
would be unnecessary. But otherwise a protocol ensuring that, in case
a contract comes into being, then there is no unfairness in the signing
process would be desirable/necessary. Since there are even previously
published papers claiming that such protocols would be impossible, I
designed a protocol that apparently contradicts that. My discussions
with some other persons who sent in comments are intended to settle the
issue whether I am right or wrong.

Could you say whether you agree to what I wrote above?

> If Alice does to receive the acceptance communication (excluding the
> postal rule which I doubt would apply) even though Bob may have sent his
> acceptance there is no contract.  Further the Uniform Electronic
> Transactions Act (1999) deals with receipt of communications from a
> legal perspective (section 15).  My understanding is that this law has
> been enacted in more than 46 US States (though I have not recently checked).

I am interested to know a bit more details of how the law deals with
receipt of electronic messages with respect to time and actual arrival
at the site of the recipient. Could you kindly give a short sketch
showing how the sender could legally claim that he has sent something
in time to a recipient over the Internet?

> In my law practice I advise my clients that if the acceptance is
> important then telephone the other side to satisfy themselves that the
> acceptance has been received.  Further take a diary note of the call and
> ask the otherside to send an acknowledgement.  Basically a three way
> handshake with an out of bounds communication.

You scheme may work, though I personally doubt that it could work in
all conceivable cases in practice. I don't like to argue with you here.
On the other hand, the existence of your scheme doesn't constitute a
ground to "prove" that my scheme is wrong or doesn't work, do you agree?

M. K. Shen