[Cryptography] GNU's "anonymous-but-taxable electronic payments system" Heh.

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Jun 13 14:49:20 EDT 2016

Incidentally, DRM no matter how well or completely it's implemented
always fails.  Whatever can be played can be recorded. People mod
speakers to record the electrical activity of the drivers, and point
thirty-megapixel cameras that record sixty-four-bit color at every
one-megapixel area of a screen that displays thirty-two-bit color, rip
media then distribute it all over the planet.  It doesn't even require
cryptanalytic cleverness or delicate hardware hacks to extract keys from
tamper-resistant modules.  The so-called "analog hole" is sufficient to
recover every last digital bit of current formats, and enough bits that
no human will be able to tell the difference of any future format.

So, really, if you don't want people to be able to read your media in
unencrypted form on general purpose computers, you can't allow them to
play it even on secured dedicated media players.  And if they can't play
it you have no copyright business anyway.

As I said, breaking copyright protection is unimportant to me.  But if
something doomed to failure, it is pointless to make any sacrifice for
it, let alone a tremendously valuable one like general purpose computers.

				Bear