[Cryptography] Entropy of a diode

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 06:36:03 EDT 2016

I have not seen any papers on this, but I can tell you that if you buy a
regular zener diode, it will generate a disappointingly low amount of
noise, many times less than the reverse breakdown Vbe of a cheap
transistor.  Apparently, zener avalanche noise is highly dependent on the
process used, and if you tune the process to lessen avalanche noise, you
can eliminate most it.

Bill