[Cryptography] The Laws (was the principles) of secure information systems design

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Wed Jul 13 11:03:26 EDT 2016

On 12/07/2016 21:30, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> I've been revising the principles, and came up with this. It's an early
> version.
>
> As ever, corrections and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Calling them Laws is perhaps a bit overreaching - but on reflection I
> thought that's mostly what they are, break them and the system won't be
> secure.
>
> I will put the Laws up on the 'net shortly, hopefully with a link for
> suggestions and comments.

I don't think it qualifies as a law but I have always liked the phrase
"two's company, three's a crowd" given how may countries seem to want
three people in all conversations when two will do very nicely for those
who seek privacy and security.

I also believe you can have at most two of security, functionality and
scale in any system but not all three.

   Brian