[Cryptography] Time(keeping) and Crypto-Economics

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 18:53:54 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 1:40 PM, james hughes <hughejp at me.com> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2016, at 8:57 AM, g3upa9y4t9 at snkmail.com wrote:
>
> An comments will be helpful.
>
> Time(keeping) and Crypto-Economics
> draft
>
> Bryant Joseph GILOT, MD CM DPhil MSc
>
> Abstract. Economic systems with flexible monetary policies force the
> evaluation of time as part of many economic decisions. Common time, defined
> as the indefinite continued sequence of apparently irreversible events from
> the past through the present and into the future, is used to compute the
> time value of money. Until now, timekeeping has been based on predictable
> astronomical events or by observing a defined number of repetitions of a
> standard cyclical event. Such measurements of elapsed time are adequate
> where monetary policy and inflation are unpredictable. In contrast,
> crypto-economic systems possessing predictable monetary policies and
> inflation are rigidly and directly related to a standard cyclical event
> with a variable and unpredictable interval. This event, block creation, is
> tightly bound to all crypto-economic events. The creation of blocks rather
> than the interval between them is the fundamental unit of time when making
> crypto-economic economic decisions. The comparison of cryptographic assets
> not existing simultaneously requires the consideration of the total number
> of blocks created between the existence of the first and the existence of
> the second cryptographic asset. To facilitate decision making, a temporal
> measurement system without the need for intercalation, reflective of
> crypto-economic conditions, with standard nomenclature and with standard
> enumeration is proposed in the form of a calendar and clock.
>

> Here is a comment. The use of a cryptoCurrency as a time stamping service
> seems to be significantly more complex than that provided by other time
> stamping services like GuardTime <https://guardtime.com>. (I am not
> affiliated with GuardTime).
>
> Both require that you hash up your object.
>
> If you just want to prove existence, you are done. If not, you need to use
> a signature (requires a private key) and then done.
>
> With CryptoCurrency, you need a private key and to get the transaction to
> the miners.
>
> I honestly do not understand the value of putting the hash of the object
> into the blockchain when a timestamp like guardtime proves the same thing.

I'm unfamiliar with GuardTime, but from skimming their web site it appears
that they are using blockchain tech on the back end to power their service.
https://guardtime.com/technology/ksi-technology

Your point basically boils down to "what is the value in using a public
blockchain as opposed to a private blockchain that may be easier and
cheaper to use." There is no clear objective answer to this because it
essentially boils down to trust and security models. If a private
blockchain is good enough for your needs then by all means, use it!

Some light reading on the matter:

https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/08/07/on-public-and-private-blockchains/

http://www.multichain.com/blog/2015/10/private-blockchains-shared-databases/

http://bitfury.com/content/5-white-papers-research/public-vs-private-pt1-1.pdf

http://bitfury.com/content/5-white-papers-research/public-vs-private-pt2-1.pdf

http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/private-blockchains/
<http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/private-blockchains/>

- Jameson

Lastly, yes, common time and cybercurrencies have a notion of monotonically