[Cryptography] What to put in a new cryptography course

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Jul 8 16:54:21 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2016, at 9:47 AM, Stephan Neuhaus <stephan.neuhaus at zhaw.ch>
> wrote:
>
> > On 2016-06-23 06:33, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> >>
> >> Some of the points I am planning to make are: [...]
> >>
> >> * Complexity is the enemy of security.
> >
> > Depending on what you mean by that, the evidence for this is pretty thin.
>
> The evidence may be thin, but the argument seems compelling to me: the
> more complex a system is, the more possible places there are for
> vulnerabilities to hide.

Splitting hair...

The coding should be as simple as possible. The tool chain should be as
simple and reproducible as possible over time.  The user interface should
be clear
and not encourage errors.

The cryptography itself however is what it is.... coding should make it
as easy (simple) as possible to compare the program as a translation
of the algorithm and the algorithm itself.

In part style enters into good coding.
Types, variable name choices, Use oF CapItolS_t_-AnD-sTuff.

Microsoft has some good library books

Documentation: Outside looking in, Inside looking out.

Perhaps start with a set of README files for the inside looking out.
Pure text works almost universally.
README-style
README-copytight
README-test
README-revision.control  (yes check in the right corrections to spelling
errors for tighter
                                        code but not with code/logic
changes).

Note other revisions..