[Cryptography] Some questions for a course

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Jul 7 00:03:09 EDT 2016

I am giving the third part of my crypto course at the Artisan's Asylum
tomorrow. I am down to the wire.

Does anyone have a cost for breaking 512 bit DH on Amazon compute cloud or
similar (order of magnitude would be fine) ?

And same for Logjam type attack on the prime.

Also source for Work Factor or RSA2048, I am pretty sure it is 112 but my
Google karma has deserted me.

The rough podcasts for parts 3 and 4 are on YouTube (hidden). Have to error
check them.

The new approach I am trying seems to work a lot better than the
traditional one. It is more of a top down approach starting at a high level
and showing how all the pieces fit together first. Do integrity before
encryption and don't bother with things like block ciphers vs stream
ciphers and AES modes till you start looking at how crypto breaks.

Also, whats the favorite AES-MAC mode. Authenticate and Encrypt seems to be
GCM, what about straight MAC?