[Cryptography] Phishing Attacks - Alice, HAL and Bob

Joseph Kilcullen kilcullenj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 06:41:18 EDT 2016

Phishing attacks = The counterfeiting of a website.

I was researching counterfeiting and Game Theory, NOT Cryptography.

I discovered web browsers can counterfeit almost anything, including
Blue Screens of Death. See YouTube clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5B5SKoIgAo

The only things which could not be counterfeited by a remote website
were things the counterfeiters did not know i.e. secrets. This forced my
game theory research into cryptography i.e. they are 'shared secrets'.
The solution to phishing attacks can be found in any cryptography textbook.

Item number 4 of the list on page 3 of the paper, is a list of shared
secrets. They were the only things I could not counterfeit. That is,
Mallory cannot counterfeit what Mallory does not know. If Mallory hacks
into my computer to get the secret, that’s not phishing any more, that’s
something else.