[Cryptography] USS Pueblo and crypto

Jeffrey I Schiller jis at qyv.net
Sat Jan 23 21:54:37 EST 2016

On 01/22/2016 08:12 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> In 1968 the spy ship USS Pueblo was captured by North Korea, allegedly in
> their waters (but the Americans dispute this) after a 2-hour chase and the
> death of a crew member; there was no time to destroy the classified
> material.  The crew were held prisoner for 11 months, but the Pueblo
> remains in North Korea as a war museum exhibit, and still remains a
> commissioned USN ship (the only one still held in captivity).
>
> Dunno what happened to the crypto stuff, but I'll bet that the Chinese were
> slavering over it...

There is this pretty cool blog about two westerners who took a train from Vienna
to Pyonyang.

The blog itself can be found at: http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/

In particular this page:
http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/2008_09_24_archive.html contains pictures
of the Pueblo (from 2008) just scroll down.

-Jeff

Jeffrey I. Schiller
Information Systems and Technology – MIT App Inventor
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue  Room 32-386
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
617.910.0259 - Voice