[Cryptography] TRNG related review: rngd and /dev/random

Jason Cooper cryptography at lakedaemon.net
Wed Jan 20 09:01:59 EST 2016

+Ted

Bill,

This is a great addition to your previous analysis.  I'll keep it to two
comments, below:

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 05:37:28PM -0800, Bill Cox wrote:
> - If entropy is trickled in, and an attacker who knows the initial state of
> the entropy pool (which is a file on disk) and all the public keys of all
> pairs generated from /dev/random, she can easily guess all the private keys

This isn't a realistic scenario.  An attacker "who knows the initial
state of the entropy pool (which is a file on disk)" either has physical
access to the system or root.  In either case, it's game over, she can
just read the keys.

> - Embedded systems such as DD-WRT have had insecure keys due to such issues
> (though I think the DD-WRT folks bear much of the blame in this case)

No.  This is not OS-specific.  Nor kernel-specific.  In order to gather
entropy from the environment, you need a high-res timer.  ARM doesn't
provide that on all SoCs.  Ted has been asking for this for years.
Perhaps he's had progress recently?

thx,

Jason.