[Cryptography] [Crypto-practicum] Request: making the archives publicly available

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 11 11:19:19 EST 2016

At 06:15 PM 1/10/2016, Alfie John wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 11, 2016, at 07:27 AM, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>> So, regardless of whether or not I use a default configuration
>> requiring a login from the general public for the archives, the
>> archives are open to any such scrutiny the Australian or any other
>> government wishes to subject them to.  Further, anyone who wants to
>> subscribe to the list and therefore be able to log in and read the
>> archives can, so the archives are open not only to law-enforcement and
>> intelligence agencies, but also to any random stranger on the planet.
>
>The wording I was given was a "closed group of people"...
>
>Another example I asked about was working on crypto software and hosting
>it on GitHub. The response received said that if the repo was open to
>the general public, then it would be considered "publication". If it was
>in a private repo, then it would be seen as "supply".
>
>To err on the side of caution, I'd see this as "you are fine if anyone
>can see it without logging in". However, IANAL.

Here's one reason why the Aussies want "open publication".  Wanna bet that
*encrypting communications*, or even *talking about encryption* will raise
your 'threat' score?

--
A bad FICO score could kill your chances of getting a mortgage.  A bad 'Beware' score could kill you, dead.

'Another program, called Media Sonar, crawled social media looking for illicit activity.'

'But perhaps the most controversial and revealing technology is the threat-scoring software Beware. ... The searches return the names of residents and scans them against a range of publicly available data to generate a color-coded threat level for each person or address: green, yellow or red.  Exactly how Beware calculates threat scores is something that its maker, Intrado, considers a trade secret, so it is unclear how much weight is given to a misdemeanor, felony or threatening comment on Facebook.  However, the program flags issues and provides a report to the user.'

'Councilman Clinton J. Olivier, a libertarian-leaning Republican, said Beware was like something out of a dystopian science fiction novel and asked Dyer a simple question: "Could you run my threat level now?"  Dyer agreed.  The scan returned Olivier as a green, but *his home came back as a yellow,* possibly because of someone who previously lived at his address, a police official said.'

'"[Beware] has failed right here with a council member as the example."'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/the-new-way-police-are-surveilling-you-calculating-your-threat-score/2016/01/10/e42bccac-8e15-11e5-baf4-bdf37355da0c_story.html

The new way police are surveilling you: Calculating your threat 'score'

By Justin Jouvenal, January 10 at 8:13 PM