[Cryptography] Australia commits encryption suicide

Alfie John alfie at fastmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:32:23 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016, at 09:11 AM, beejaym wrote:
> I see the rules do not apply to things in the "public domain" viz "The
> DSGL contains a number of exemptions that can apply to technology that
> may otherwise be controlled. These include technology that is::
>
>    - 'in the public domain' - if the technology is already available
>      to the public, for example, in publications, product brochures
>      and public blogs, websites, podcasts or databases, then it is not
>      controlled. This exemption applies to all software and technology
>      in the DSGL;"

I also asked about software...

An Australian working on crypto software, and hosting it within a public
GitHub repo will be seen as "publishing" (no jail time). If the repo
were hosted within a private GitHub repo, and people outside of
Australia were accessing the repo, then it would be seen as "supply"
(jail time).

Note that as I read it, Australians accessing a private repo but from
outside Australian territory will also be seen as "supply" :/

IANAL

Alfie

An Australian creating a repo within Australian territory, travelling to
another country, then accessing the same repo (legally still seen as
"supply" AFAICT) is left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Alfie John
alfie at fastmail.com