[Cryptography] FTC sues for crappy crypto

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:53:21 EST 2016

Adrian McCullagh says:

> Does the FTC really need to mandate what it believes to be strong crypto
which I personally think would be an impossible task and much like a cat
chasing it tale; or should the FTC merely describe the characteristics of
“strong” crypto.

I believe that's a job for the NIST. The lawsuit specifically mentions
HIPAA[0]. At this point the FTC essentially does what the FDA does for
food: "Your label said "strong crypto" but we couldn't find it in the
ingredients."

[0]
http://csrc.nist.gov/news_events/hipaa-2014/presentations_day1/scholl_hipaa_2014_day1.pdf