[Cryptography] Almost lame cipher

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Jan 5 23:15:39 EST 2016

A transposition Scytale like cipher on a modern machine
with constant width fonts and variable width screens.

Type your alphabet across the first line of a text window.
Insert a blank line.
Type the same or another alphabet N times on a single
line.  Lines like variations of "the quick brown fox...." will do.
Slide the edge of the window smaller stopping at
a character (I) of the top alphabet.  Countdown "D" copy the characters
from the left edge under a normal alphabet for a simple
transposition table.

Four modest secrets:
  The top line of characters.
  The index (I) of the top line to set the right edge to.
  The repeated alphabet.
  A count of characters (D) to toss so the first is not always first.

Changing the width of the screen is a lot like changing the
diameter of the rod with a bit of complication tossed in.

Good for a word or two...

  --
  T o m    M i t c h e l l