[Cryptography] Dutch govt says no to encryption backdoors

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Jan 4 20:42:47 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> FYI -- I don't speak Dutch, and I couldn't even open the .docx file posted
> by the Dutch govt.
>
> If someone here speaks Dutch, perhaps they can comment on what it says.
>
> Alternatively, if someone could just post the ascii text, and I'll see
> what Google Translate can do!
>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/04/dutch_government_says_no_to_backdoors/
>
> Dutch govt says no to backdoors, slides $540k into OpenSSL without
> breaking eye contact
>
> People need encryption to be safe and secure, says ministry

 Looking forward to the translation.

Of interest I just finishes a Pulitzer Prize winner book:

   "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr

One of the story threads involved radios, secret messages
in the context of a war and pre war.  Set mostly in Paris it presented
radio first as a magical tool of art, education and awe then
as the illegal hunted tool of armies and partisans.

The point of mentioning it is the Dutch, French, Belgians
and others in Europe by race, nationality, religion and birth were
assaulted.
They as nations recall the abuses.

In the story, first radio was magical then it was hunted.
Some here might draw parallels and lessons with the uses
of the internet and modern politics.

The interesting bit is that the messages in the book were short
messages.  Easy to hide in news or just difficult to intercept
because the transmitter was only on for a min or so then should
go dark.   Transmitters used were less interesting than the hardware
built into a $35 Chromecast dongle or a common cell phone with
the possible exception of power which is easy to address.

Check your library for a copy.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l