[Cryptography] Alice, Bob, Eve, Nessa, Twein ??

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sat Jan 2 19:16:54 EST 2016

At 01:55 PM 1/2/2016, Bill Frantz wrote:
>On 12/31/15 at 5:36 PM, hbaker1 at pipeline.com (Henry Baker) wrote:
>
>> Is there a standard name for a MITM attacker?
>
>Isn't that Mallet? He can read, modify, inject, and discard any messages between Alice and Bob.

I always assumed that Mallet == Ma Bell.

MALLET == MA beLL e T  ("T" being the NYSE symbol for ATT).

Yes, even though NSA uses every trick in the book (and
lots that aren't), we still need a name specific to MITM
attacks, given that they are now the easiest type of attack
in a TLS world.

I would propose "Nessa" (short for Vanessa) for a
canonical MITM-er.

Alternatively, "Twein"/"Twain" for a male MITM-er.