[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras, to be encrypted

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:16:40 EST 2016

Den 24 dec. 2016 00:22 skrev "Jerry Leichter" <leichter at lrw.com>:

> ...I would have wanted to put the camera into a mode where it would take
pictures but never show them (without some key that was not resident in the
camera
> or its media)...
I never thought of it this way before, but curiously ... iOS has almost
exactly such a mode:  You can take photos from the lock screen, without
first unlocking the phone.  This begins a "photo session" that continues
until you return to the lock screen (quick press on the top button does
it).  You can scroll back and examine or even delete any photos taken
within a session; but older ones are inaccessible.

Once a session ends, none of its photos are accessible unless you unlock
the phone.

Oh, and the phone can also be configured to upload automatically to the
Apple cloud if it has a connection.  Whether that's a plus or a minus
depends on the situation.

Uploading is something Android phones do, too, of course; I don't know if
they have similar "take pictures from lock screen" functionality.

At least some Motorola phones and Samsung phones has it, probably Sony too.
I'm not sure if it is natively supported in Android.

On at least Motorola and Samsung you can set a third party camera app as
your default, which will be available in this mode.

This opens up for the option to use a camera app with support for public
key encryption in combination with online backup, to fulfill both of these
main requirements (loss prevention and secrecy) discussed here.