[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras, to be encrypted

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Thu Dec 22 22:51:09 EST 2016

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 3:40 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
> I recorded video of these thugs carrying things out of the store, from
> the public sidewalk.  Several of them grabbed me physically, twisted
> the camera out of my hand, and went into it to see what I had recorded.
> They were unable to see anything useful and eventually let me go (with
> fingers that hurt for several days from their unwarranted assault).

Seems like you fell in one of the categories that Joshua Marpet delineated: "Pressure, ranging to duress, to delete stills or video." Being a network guy, I tend to think of network based solutions. Any reason that real time streaming to a safe place would not have worked? Maybe coupled with clear text copies of some pictures on the device itself, which you could volunteer to delete before they hurt you too much?

-- Christian Huitema