[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras, to be encrypted

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Dec 22 20:14:29 EST 2016

Two thoughts:

  1. Be careful about demanding for robust "authenticity" features, they
are in conflict with anonymity and otherwise can document too much.
Sometimes we have something to say and we don't care if we can prove the
picture is "authentic" via a digital trail, don't force an indelible
provenance and sequence on every photo.

  2. XKCD #538 is a distraction. Being caught with an encrypted mobile
phone isn't incriminating, it is common. If encrypted cameras were the
norm, same thing. Let the owners of the cameras have the choice of how
to deal with this, don't say they can't handle it. There are journalists
and citizen journalists dying everyday over these issues, some would die
before revealing a source (and then being killed anyway), many of the
ones who are still alive know a lot about operational security, we
shouldn't second guess them. They might mumble protests before
decrypting the SD card in the camera, while keeping the sensitive card
in their mumbling mouths.  (See item #1.)

-kb