[Cryptography] TR-069 & firewalls

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 20 03:59:45 EST 2016

Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> writes:

>Is there any way to firewall the TR-069 protocol?
>
>My DSL ISP uses TR-069, but their router also allows me to fiddle with the
>firewall; could I use the firewall to deny TR-069 access?

That depends on the manufacturer, model, and firmware revision.  In general
it's really hard to turn off TR-069 because ISPs want to use it to configure
"their" routers, so there's often an implied exception for TR-069 to make sure
that customers can't configure the device to block ISP updates/management.

Peter.