[Cryptography] TV set power correlates to TV channel?

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 19 13:53:16 EST 2016

At 03:44 PM 12/2/2016, John Gilmore wrote:
>> Due to the power "optimization" in modern LED TV sets, you cannow correlate to near certainty which channel is being watchedbased solely on power consumption data.  That data is enoughto get you murdered in quite a few countries around the worldtoday; countries that show up on every cybersecurity firm's"best customer" list.
>> http://www.tij.co.jp/jp/lit/an/slva474/slva474.pdf
>> "High Efficiency AC-DC TV Power Solutions: Proposing anIntelligent LED Backlight Driving Scheme.  Application ReportSLVA74-July 2011"
>
>I read the reference you provided, and it doesn't seem to say anything to prove your point.

I apologize; I thought this particular TI part did what I suggested.

Here's a better reference (note the date: November, 2009):

http://informationdisplay.org/IDArchive/2009/November/MakingDisplaysWorkforYouAdaptiveBacklightD.aspx

The luminance for LCD TVs can now be controlled spatially as well as temporally, especially with the introduction of LEDs as a backlighting source.  By tailoring the backlight to generate light only at the time and location where is it actually needed, image contrast can be improved, and at the same time less power is consumed.  This technique is frequently referred to as "dynamic backlighting" or "adaptive dimming" and requires special driving electronics and algorithms to achieve an optimal system performance.

Two basic approaches toward dimming, which can be used with either CCFLs or LEDs, are global dimming, a methodology in which the entire backlight is dimmed by a single factor in each frame, and local dimming, in which regions within a frame can be dimmed separately.  For global dimming, the luminance of a backlight is modulated with a dimming algorithm, *** relative to the video content ***

Because there is no control over the luminance in the spatial domain, the global dimming technology is sometimes called 0D dimming

In local dimming, the backlight comprises a number of small 2-D segments, each having a luminance that can be modulated

Local color dimming is an approach toward a more power-effective RGB-LED solution. This technology involves executing the local-dimming algorithm independently for the red, green, and blue primary colors because the light sources are red, green, and blue LEDs with their luminance controllable per color and per region