[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras to be encrypted

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 19 06:13:43 EST 2016

Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> writes:

>OTOH, a camera you can't see into probably wouldn't justify the expense of
>jailing or torturing somebody - the response would be limited to the seizure
>of the camera leaving the journalists considerably safer.

This is just asking for:

https://xkcd.com/538/

If a camera vendor could produce a strongly-encrypted camera (which they
can't, see my previous message), it would make journalists considerably less
safe.  Previously, you seized the camera, perhaps roughed the journalist up a
bit, and then sent them on their way.  Now you have to seize the journalist
and torture them, even if the camera appears to have nothing on it, since they
may confess under torture that there is something hidden/encrypted there.

Peter.