[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras, to be encrypted

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 19 12:06:26 EST 2016

At 06:04 PM 12/18/2016, Mansour Moufid wrote:

>There's a big difference between what people think they will get with encryption and what they will actually get.
>
>They want: "No one can see my pictures without my password."
>
>What they'll get is "I see you have encrypted photos here, this way to enhanced interrogation."
>
>Same for authentication.

But public key encryption provides another option: encrypt the pix with someone's *public key*; the *private key* is unknown to the photographer.

So far as the photographer is concerned, the pix storage is a black hole, which can only be entered by means of the private key.

Yes, the storage can be destroyed (if it can be found); thus, it would be better to transmit it in real time -- e.g., ACLU's "Mobile Justice" app for recording police activities.

(I don't know if ACLU's "Mobile Justice" app encrypts or not, nor whether it uses PKI if it does encrypt.)