[Cryptography] Is glibc right on randomness

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 7 21:12:49 EST 2016

John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> quotes:

>  If you want progress on this, take a lead in the general discussion
>  on libc-alpha of when glibc should provide bindings to Linux kernel
>  syscalls, seeking to understand the differences of views expressed,
>  find common ground and drive the discussion to consensus.  Once we
>  have agreed principles on bindings for syscalls, then we can
>  consider which new or old syscalls should have such bindings added
>  under those principles.

I think that what he's saying there is that everyone has agreed that this
new policy is really an excellent plan. But in view of some of the doubts
being expressed, may he propose that he recall that after careful
consideration, the considered view of the glibc maintainers was that, while
they considered that the proposal met with broad approval in principle, that
some of the principles were sufficiently fundamental in principle, and some
of the considerations so complex and finely balanced in practice that in
principle it was proposed that the sensible and prudent practice would be
to submit the proposal for more detailed consideration, laying stress on the
essential continuity of the new proposal with existing principles, the
principle of the principal arguments which the proposal proposes and
propounds for their approval. In principle.

(joseph at codesourcery is a rank amateur compared to Sir Humphrey).

Peter.