[Cryptography] TV set power correlates to TV channel?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Sun Dec 4 13:57:25 EST 2016

On 12/3/16 at 4:47 AM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>Of course, you do get the question:  Why would anyone bother?
>The information is already available to whoever is supplying
>you with the signal.  Various slightly more intrusive
>mechanisms - how many TV's are in rooms without outside
>windows? - would be simpler, cheaper, and more reliable.

Since at one time, England collected license fees on a per-TV
basis, technology has been used to count TVs. I believe they
drove around in trucks with directional antennas and listened
for the signal from the TV's local oscillators.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Security is like Government  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | services. The market doesn't | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | want to pay for them.        | Los Gatos,
CA 95032