[Cryptography] RNG design principles

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Dec 1 17:19:55 EST 2016

On 11/30/2016 03:32 PM, Henry Baker wrote:

> So, is it unsportsmanlike and/or cheating to have access to a random oracle ?  If not, then perhaps players should be allowed a certified RNG/TRNG ?

I can picture it.  A tiny little ridge on the brim of a baseball cap,
the inside of which (where no one except the wearer can see it) shines a
randomly selected one of five low-power LEDs every 3 seconds or so.  Not
hard to build, and even a pretty simple pseudorandom generator  wouldn't
provide enough information in the course of a single game to reveal its
state.

I figure it's not cheating.  It's legit sports equipment, like a
baseball cap to keep the sun out of someone's eyes or cleats for better
traction.

				Bear