[Cryptography] Gaslighting ~= power droop == side channel attack

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu Dec 1 14:55:30 EST 2016

> Of course, some electrical utilities (at least outside the U.S.) are already in the ISP business.  But they have to bypass the last transformer just prior to your home to be able to pass the high frequencies that "broadband" requires.  Of course, anyone who can access these same external wires can tap into these home powerline networks.
The physical layer is encrypted.  I couldn't find much in the way of detail other than two facts:  The encryption uses 128-bit AES, and there's a "push the button to set it up" mode for adding new devices.  I'm guessing they are simply re-using WiFi technologies, including WPS (which, yes, has recently been shown to have vulnerabilities).
                                                        -- Jerry