[Cryptography] I broke a cipher this week.

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 28 05:33:06 EDT 2015

ianG <iang at iang.org> writes:

>More likely there is an underlying factor that is causal.  Something about
>the way the IETF is constructed is also something about why the people found
>at IETF need agility.

The IETF is set of committees.  Committees work by throwing in every feature
anyone on the committee wants.  So the mess of algorithms is, as you say, a
byproduct of the way the IETF is structured, but is mostly an artefact of that
structure, not a great need or desire for agility (no matter how diverse your
environment, no-one needs four hundred cipher suites, or IPsec's Chinese-menu
equivalent thereof).

Peter.