[Cryptography] open questions in secure protocol design?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu May 28 02:14:15 EDT 2015

On 5/26/15 at 1:21 PM, stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie (Stephen
Farrell) wrote:

>For me the term "one true cipher suite" carries with it an
>obvious implication that it's proponents consider every other
>approach is wrong.

I would say that "one true cipher suite" means that the
designers have picked a suite they consider adequate and chose
to avoid the complexity of negotiation, not that the other
choices are wrong.

I consider the possibility that each version of TLS only
supports one suite, and you have version negotiation to chose
both the version and suite to be an interesting design space
that has not been adequately investigated. It would eliminate
one level of negotiation. YMMV.

Cheers - Bill