[Cryptography] Any S/MIME or PGP for normal people

Yaron Sheffer yaronf.ietf at gmail.com
Fri May 15 05:52:18 EDT 2015

On 05/15/2015 04:57 AM, John Levine wrote:
> In article <CAAZXAeaZ5hw9muNHnsAqmAKjx3w5HNOHSbbmytnEoHKQxcFSZw at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>>
>>> How does that help key management?
>>
>> just use it and you'll see, I guess it has a user manual too
>
> Hmmn.  I have GPG and Thunderbird installed on my Mac, so I downloaded
> and installed Enigmail, it found my key from GPG, tried to send a
> signed letter to one of my other addresses, and it said "Key not found
> or invalid" and helpfully suggests that the (sub-)key might have
> expired which it hasn't unless it's now 2024.
>
> I guess I see.
>
> R's,
> John

Here is what worked for me and my team:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jBFe1Vh1Lg8clBuWIdUIM8-HHTl3vcpfWsaHD04CW9U/edit?usp=sharing

Basically, if you put an hour into it and follow the rules, S/MIME
encryption is not hard. And it's a one-time effort, until the
certificate expires.

We are all using Thunderbird, so we are only marginally "normal people".

Thanks,
	Yaron