[Cryptography] [cryptography] NIST Workshop on Elliptic Curve Cryptography Standards

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Wed May 13 21:32:20 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, May 13, , at 1:46 PM, dj at deadhat.com wrote
> > No block boundaries inside the message, and every bit of the
> > ciphertext depending on every bit of the plaintext, means
> > entire classes of attacks just don't have anything to work
> > with.
>
> I would like such a thing to exist. Do you have an algorithm handy? The
> closest thing I can think of is format preserving encryption, like
> Rogaway's Sometimes Recurse Shuffle. That can work on arbitrary string
> sizes.

Reminds me of the ancient way of writing Greek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon. One could think of a Feistel like construct that worked like that. One pass forward, next pass backwards, etc.  Would probably depend on a good initial vector, maybe also a trailing vector.

-- Christian Huitema