[Cryptography] AEAD modes for signed ciphertext

ianG iang at iang.org
Wed May 13 08:27:49 EDT 2015

On 13/05/2015 03:08 am, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> I note that the current wikipedia article lists Zooko's triangle as
> solved.
>
> They are wrong.  I am not willing to expend the energy to argue the point.

People misunderstand ZT.  In the excitement of discovering a solution,
what they fail to realise is that the conceptualisation of the problem
was that which allowed for a solution to emerge.

It is for this reason that we introduced the phrase "squaring the triangle."

The point of ZT isn't that there is no solution at all, but that it is
conjectured that there is no solution using one single technical component.

Therefore, you have to construct a solution out of components.
Therefore you have to make compromises, design decisions, incur costs.

E.g., the wikipedia article argues that Szabo has proven it wrong.  Yet
his solution proposes replicated databases, voting, vulnerability to
conspiracy, etc.  A perfect example of compromise from composition of
elements.

But yes, it seems that the current generation of bitcoiners have learnt
that proclaiming success and moving on is a better strategy than proving it.

(Hmmm  Seems I've already written this in the Talk section.)

iang