[Cryptography] [cryptography] NIST Workshop on Elliptic Curve Cryptography Standards

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Mon May 11 20:23:11 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Thierry Moreau <
thierry.moreau at connotech.com> wrote:

> With ECC, I have less confidence in NIST ability to leverage the
> cryptographic community contributions.

One hopes they will recommend the same elliptic curve standards that the
IRTF's CFRG is standardizing for use in e.g. TLS.

Given that, so far, the CFRG has standardized curves developed by djb and
Mike Hamburg, at least to me they feel free of NSA influence.

We'll see what NIST actually ends up doing. Standardizing the CFRG curves
seems like a great way they could help promote interoperability and rebuild
their reputation.

--
Tony Arcieri