[Cryptography] Is there a good algorithm providing both compression and encryption at the same time?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun May 10 09:15:54 EDT 2015

Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> writes:

>One can readily construct an example where this is false.
>[...]

Sure, you can come up with hypothetical examples to demonstrate almost
anything about any crypto or security issue.  As used in EDI though, it's safe
enough.

And in general you need to ask "safe against what?" rather than just saying
"safe" or "unsafe".  Most users of crypto don't know or care about traffic
analysis, it's only a tiny subset of security geeks who do, so any definition
of "safe" doesn't need to include "safe against traffic analysis".  When I
used the term "safe" I meant "safe against anything that EDI users care
about", for example.

Peter.