[Cryptography] "Trust in digital certificate ecosystem eroding"

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Sun May 3 16:38:06 EDT 2015

On Sun, 3 May 2015, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

>> It would take _considerable_ (re-)training of users to
>> actually take security warnings seriously, and to reduce the
>> number of false warnings.
>
> All the studies I've seen say that no amount of training will make
> users take security warnings seriously.  Partly it's the number of
> false alarms, partly it's a not totally irrational tradeoff between
> the risk of what might happen and the desire to get their work done.
>
> If this stuff is going to work at all, it has to work automatically.
>
> R's,
> John

Yes.

It is not the users who have failed so far to properly pay
attention.  The entire SSL system at the point of presentation to
an end user using a browser is nonsense.  Free example: Suppose
my browser goes to a website.  Suppose a "warning" pops up.  Whom
do I contact to find out whether there really is a problem with
the chain of authenticatioon and/or the chain of authorization of
the perhaps bad certificate?  I have never seen any trace of this
information presented to the user of the browser.

oo--JS.